Thursday, November 8, 2012

Who Am I?




I am “Messy Jessi,” “Really, Jessi?,” and “Jessica Lynn Vorhees!”
I am poetic, and Pisces, and improbably powerful.
I am the Hoover Dam, or the Statue of Liberty,
but also an old teacup, balanced over the edge of the table.
I’m the writer, the romantic, the optimist, the control-freak,
the inventor, the thinker, and the coffee-lover.
I am your best friend, harshest critic, and biggest supporter.
I’m the philosopher,the questioner, the one tugging at your shirt sleeves for answers.
I am careful and I am determined.
I am Me, and Me is unique.

Describing who you are is never easy. It seems to me that every day I learn something new about myself. But still there are concrete parts of myself I have developed throughout the years that I believe will forever remain central to who I am. These range from simple personality traits, to my morals and beliefs, to the people I’ve chosen to include in my life.

My personality isn’t always exactly simple to understand. Some may even call it complicated. I’m full of contradictions, but somehow it all makes sense. A handful of words I’d use to describe myself are caring, sarcastic, thoughtful, creative, independent, determined, worrisome, and hopeful. In this list I would also include the word careful. Anyone close to me would agree that sometimes I’m a little over prepared and maybe go so far as to say I’m slightly obsessive-compulsive. Though some may criticize, this over-preparedness is my safety net, my security blanket, and my sense of control. It’s something about my personality I’ve learned to accept and even see as a strength at times.

The carefulness I exercise in my life is closely related to the determination I have to achieve the sometimes difficult goals I set for myself. I think of myself as a passionate person and I’m very dedicated to making every dream I have for success come true. I would call this one of the most important parts of who I am because it’s what decides my future and the path I ultimately take to get there. One of the goals I am passionate about achieving in the future is redefining others’ perspectives. Changing the way people see certain situations for the better would be extremely rewarding. I want to do this in my career as a counselor or social worker and make a difference by redefining how people think, judge, and make choices in their lives.

Over the years I have also developed morals and beliefs that I hold strong to. One of the most major of these is honesty. This, by far, is the most important thing I look for in the people I let into my life. I have always been an honest person and I cannot understand any reason not to be. “Mind” and “intelligence” are also things I put value in. I never pass up the chance to learn something new. I like pushing myself to think about complex things, like philosophy and human behavior, and to solve problems in new and creative ways. Mostly, though, I ponder why things are the way they are. One of the most important lessons I’ve learned over the years is that positivity pays off. Every day I try to implement this and move forward no matter what the day decides to hand to me. I will admit this isn’t always easy, but positivity is something I work very hard to achieve.

   All of these things combined make up who I am and who I hope to be in the near future. Though I may change over time, these central parts of me will always remain the same. I am proud of who I have grown to be (so far) and look to the future with faith in the idea that I will develop into a better person, continuing on as unique as ever.
MY DEEP MAP
MY FAMILY TRADITION ARTIFACT

4 comments:

  1. Jess,

    I really like the design of your blog! It's just cool and of course, has coffee! ;) I like that you used the "Where I'm From" poem form at the beginning, since you are such a great poet! Nice job.

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poem! it was a unique way to start your blog, and I wish I had your talent for writing. I love how you admit to being "full of contradictions" because so many people can't admit it when they contradict themselves.
    P.S.
    I am IN LOVE with your background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessi,

    I love your poem! I also really admire how you have set everything up on your blog!

    Allissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chief,
    I enjoyed reading this blog posting. I think unique is an understatement of your personality. You are one of a kind, and that's good. I don't think the world could handle more than one person like you.
    Your background reminds me of when we used to get up and drink coffee together when I stayed over at your house. "Mmmmmmmmm" :)
    -Pocahontas

    ReplyDelete